Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Cherry Clafoutis or the Easiest Dessert I Ever Made



So I saw this recipe in Saveur Magazine back in February. This French Cherry Clafoutis (pronounced Kla fou' tee) dessert,  was very light, not too many ingredients, just looked so amazing.  I was dying to make it, but I wanted to wait until the cherries were actually in or at least close to season.  So, after seeing and testing some at the market this week, I decide to give it swirl.



Here's the ingredients:

1 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
6 eggs
6 tbsp. sugar
1 1⁄4 cups milk
2 tbsp. kirsch
Pinch salt
3⁄4 cup flour
3 cups fresh ripe cherries, pitted or unpitted
Confectioners' sugar


1. Preheat oven to 425°. Generously butter a 9" cast-iron skillet or baking dish. Combine vanilla extract, eggs, sugar, milk, kirsch, (I didn't have any so I used Amaretto instead) and salt in a blender. Blend for a few seconds to mix ingredients, then add flour and blend until smooth, about 1 minute.
2. Pour batter into buttered skillet, then distribute cherries evenly over top. Bake until a skewer inserted into batter comes out clean and a golden brown crust has formed on top and bottom of clafoutis (mine also puffed up really nicely and pulled away from the side of the pan) , about 30 minutes. Dust with confectioners' sugar if you like.  The sugar was a must for me. 



That's it.  The easiest thing I've ever done. Not much harder than making a smoothie.   Hope you give it a try. 

No comments:

Post a Comment